MOTHER-of-six Jen Shaw thought she had seen and managed nearly every rash and illness young children could catch.

But nothing had prepared her and husband Mick for the near fatal reaction their youngest daughter Chasely suffered after being given an infant's painkiller.

It is believed to have triggered a case of the rare but serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes known as Stevens-Johnson syndrome.

Mrs Shaw said her daughter, now seven-and-a-half months old, was suffering from minor flu symptoms before she decided to take her to a GP late last month.

She was advised that if her daughter's symptoms continued to give her some pain medication.

She bought some infant's Nurofen which she gave to her daughter about 11am the next day.

"She was fine," Mrs Shaw said.

"She settled down and was not so grisly."

Chaseley Shaw survived after reacting badly to painkiller, Nurofen. At home with her mother Jennifer Shaw.
Chaseley Shaw survived after reacting badly to painkiller, Nurofen. At home with her mother Jennifer Shaw. Bev Lacey

However, that wore off about six hours later and another does was issued.

"But rather than calming down, she actually got worse.

"That night she was incredibly restless.

"She was up every half hour."

Chasely was taken to the Toowoomba Hospital emergency department the next morning.

A red rash had developed in the folds of her neck, in her nappy area, under her armpits and around her eyes.

It was diagnosed as a viral infection.

Mrs Shaw did not give her daughter any more Nurofen.

"I kept saying to Mick 'I've got this feeling she is reacting to it'."

Her daughter was starting to develop blisters, but slept well that night.

A large blister had developed on Chasely's ear the next morning so she was taken back to the hospital.

"They took her straight out the back."

A doctor initially diagnosed her as having a staphylococcus infection, but another said it was possible the blistering was part of a reaction to Nurofen.

"She was blistering right before my eyes all over her little body."

The next morning was very overwhelming. "They said Chasely was extremely fragile and we needed to prepare for the worst."

Chasely remained under close watch for a few more days until her condition began to improve.

The blistering had left more than 50 per cent of her body with burns. Doctors then confirmed to Mrs Shaw they thought her daughter had Stevens-Johnson syndrome.

Mrs Shaw said while she had thrown out all the Nurofen in her house, she was not against people using the medication.

She just wanted them to realise their child could have an adverse reaction.

"When giving them medicine for the first time, keep an eye out."


Parents learn from their child every day

Parents learn from their child every day

Parents share the ups and downs of raising a child with higher needs

UPDATE: Home completely gutted in overnight CQ fire

UPDATE: Home completely gutted in overnight CQ fire

PHOTOS: Investigations begin into Emerald house fire

Quickest areas to save a house deposit in Queensland

Quickest areas to save a house deposit in Queensland

THESE are the areas where it takes first home buyers the least time.

Local Partners