THE owner of the quarry that has been blamed for contributing to the devastating 2011 Grantham flood told the overseeing Commissioner that some stories heard during an inquiry did not "ring true".
When lawyers finished quizzing Grantham sand plant owner Denis Wagner at the Commission of Inquiry on Thursday, Commissioner Walter Sofronoff asked the witness how the last four years had impacted him.
"It's been publicly stated a lot of people believe the quarry had a lot to do with the consequences to Grantham," Mr Sofronoff said.
"How has that affected you?"
Mr Wagner said his family had suffered from the flood and the business had been impacted.
He also said some stories he'd heard during the inquiry did not "ring true".
He also said he stood by what he had been saying for the past four years since the floods; that his quarry was not to blame.
"The allegation that had been made that the quarry wall collapsed and caused the flood at Grantham ... I don't believe to be the case."
The Commissioner also asked Mr Wagner if he believed that his comments that the quarry wasn't to blame for the flood contributed to how his family was subjected to "terrible opprobrium".
"I don't believe so," Mr Wagner said, "but I do believe there are some very vindictive people in media, particularly in radio media."
While answering the Commissioner's questions, Mr Wagner also said he had heard some inspirational stories from the inquiry and that he and his family had sympathy for those who had lost relatives and friends.
The inquiry continues.
- APN NEWSDESK
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.