This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.
This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.

Toy too much to swallow

AN amethystine python will be feeling more than a tummy-ache for a while after vets removed a stuffed toy cow from its gullet.

The python was brought into Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital last week by handlers from Miss Hiss Reptiles.

 

This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.
This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.

 

After several attempts to get the python to regurgitate the toy using fluid and anti-inflammation therapy, staff had no choice but to operate.

Veterinarian Dr Peter Baratt who performed the survey said it was an interesting thing to come back from holiday for.

 

This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.
This Amethystine python had to get surgery at Marlin Coast Veterinary Hospital after swallowing a stuffed children's toy.

 

"It all went very routinely and the snake is now recovering," he said.

Amethystine pythons, also known as scrub pythons, can grow to more than five metres long.

A mature python such as this one could eat animals as large as wallabies, but Dr Baratt said a stuffed toy is a different story.

"I know of a couple incidents like this. I can remember doing one where a snake striking at a cat swallowed a towel and had to have it removed surgically," he said.


Toxic masculinity: why country boys are so angry

Toxic masculinity: why country boys are so angry

Teenage boys living in the country believe they must be aggressive

Gracemere man killed in Bruce Highway rollover

Gracemere man killed in Bruce Highway rollover

The closed highway has now reopened.

Local Partners